POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sampled Blob Box : Re: Sampled Blob Box Server Time
15 Aug 2024 02:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sampled Blob Box
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 17 Aug 2002 16:05:19
Message: <3d5eac7f@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Cocker" <mai### [at] mariner9net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I created a 3d grid of blob components using nested #while loops. The
radius of each blob
> component relates to the greyscale value of a bozo pigment occupying the
same points in space,
> which I sampled by using eval_pigment().
>
> This is part of an animation (in which the bozo pigment is rotated prior
to sampling
> independently of the blob-grid's rotation).
>
> I wasn't prepared for parse time to evaluate 8000 components. Any reason
for it taking so
> long? (approx 1 minute.. not forever, I know, but I just assumed it would
be a really quick
> operation)

You really should try ABX's suggestion using functions. The way you use
(with eval_pigment) bears much overhead for what you want. You only need the
pattern and you can get that by using a function.

I like your idea and hope you'll get somewhere. However, I fear it's quite
memory intensive to have all the blades of a grass plane as extra shapes
(without copying patches), I hope, I'm wrong.

Regards,

Marc-Hendrik